The majority of the general public has never heard of the term ‘Finlock guttering’, and as a result, they don’t know what it is.
Finlock gutters are a system of guttering made primarily of concrete. They were implemented in the majority of homes built between the 1950s and 1970s. These gutters were formally introduced as a replacement to their predecessor cast-iron guttering systems, largely due to the shortage of steel in response to the UK’s war efforts. Concrete guttering was used, as it was the best logical low-cost, durable alternative to steel. Furthermore, cavity-constructed walls were becoming increasingly widespread at the time and Finlock gutters served to close them at the top.
Finlock guttering was nonetheless discontinued, as countless functionality problems began to arise when used long term. The majority of Finlock gutters fail as a result of the expansion and contraction of their inner lining, caused by changes in temperature. This often causes them to crack, which provides points for water to enter. This, in turn, can cause damp and mould, sagging, and uneven gutters, as well as cold/thermal bridging.
The Replacement Process:
- Finlock Removals has invested heavily in supplying our teams with the latest Easi-dec access equipment, to reduce the need for scaffolding, saving you money and hassle. Our fitters will make sure to build and remove all Easi-dec equipment upon arrival and departure of your property.
- The process begins by pushing back the first row of tiles and removing any failed aluminium lining and any of the faceplates that can be found in square-style concrete gutters.
- We use diamond-tipped cutting plates in order to dislodge and remove your Finlock concrete blocks. This is often a noisy, dusty process, and one that has to be done properly so as to avoid any structural damage to your property.
- With the concrete that remains, we install a pressure-treated timber faceplate. This provides us with a straight and solid base, which we can use to attach the new uPVC guttering, helping to eliminate cold bridging.
- Making sure to use only the best materials is paramount to our work. With this in mind, we install the highest possible quality of uPVC fascias, soffits, and guttering to your property. Feel confident knowing that all of our materials have a 50-year manufacturer’s guarantee and are resistant to fading and discolouration.
- Our next step is to install an E.P.S. tray to your property, which slides underneath your roof felt and overruns into the new guttering. This provides ventilation for your roof space, stops water from getting through any tears or holes along the bottom of your felt, and directs all water perfectly into your new guttering system.
- One of the final and most crucial stages is to join your stunning new uPVC guttering to next door’s concrete guttering (if you share a downpipe). We have a tried and tested method for doing this, and it requires a lot of skill – which we have in abundance.
- Finally, we clean up any mess, putting all of your rubbish into a heavy-duty Hippo waste bag that will be collected – leaving your house looking amazing and the envy of all your neighbours.
Replacing your concrete guttering with Finlock Removals
Concrete guttering is hugely detrimental to the health and longevity of your property. Finlock Removals serve over 48 counties and are equipped with over 20 years of experience, to provide you with a highly qualified, knowledgeable, and friendly customer service.
If you would like to know more about how we can provide you with a solution or have any further questions regarding the information in this blog, then please do not hesitate to get in touch! We would love to hear from you and would be more than happy to help.
Have a question? Contact us today for a free quote:
Trusted and reliable
Finlock Removals have been trusted by many as we have proven time and time again just how reliable we are both in our customer service and in the work, we complete for our many happy customers. We keep you updated throughout the process, make it minimal fuss for you, and ensure that the work is done to the best possible standard, so you don’t have to worry about your home.
Mr and Mrs Ashed | Coventry
We had our gutters lined by Finlock Removals, they were very professional and we aren’t experiencing problems anymore. If we decide to get them removed we will go back to Finlock Removals.
Mr and Mrs Rees | Surrey
We were looking at selling our property but found that buyers were trying to haggle money off because our property had concrete gutters. We decided to get them removed and replaced with upvc and we got our asking price.
Mr and Mrs Barker | Plymouth
Our concrete gutters were leaking, we’d had them lined by another company but apparently that counted for nothing. We decided to get them removed by Finlock Removals and haven’t looked back
Mr and Mrs Mason | Whitby
We’d had quotes from other companies but Finlock Removals really seemed to stand out and we’re so glad that we went with them.
Mr Franklin | Cheshire
I can’t believe how quickly the fitters completed the work and now it all looks so much better
Ms Ward | Essex
What a fantastic job! Signed the order form online, the fitters came with the access equipment, were polite and helpful and took the access equipment away with them